April 2, 2008

Hope vol. 2

It's rare that you actually happen to meet people you've only dreamed of meeting. It's a privilege to see somebody who's the stuff of movies. I've had this occasion this last weekend. For 3 days, I had the honor of training under the guidance of Shidoshi Kacem Zoughari. It was simply mind blowing.
I'd been waiting for it for weeks. Looking up every clip, reading every bit of information I could find about him and his training. It's astonishing what years of training can turn you into. Look it up, you'll understand once you see him. And take my word for it: videos are less than half of what he stands for in reality.
"Water takes the color and shape of the vase." That was his quote about technique. "Imagine yourself doing things the way you do now, only you're 60 years old doing them against somebody who's 20. Will it work? If you use strength instead of movement, it won't." And I could go on about things he said that were etched deep into my brain. But I won't, since my blabbering can't possibly be close to the actual experience of training with him. So if you're passionate about martial arts (especially ninjutsu, but I believe what he said would be of use to anybody into the general theme), do yourself a favor and try to go to one of his seminars.
I can only hope that the motivation I have now to train will stay with me for years to come, and maybe someday I'll be close to that level myself (one can dream, can't one?). But, before then, this song will echo in my head serving to remind me of my resolve to improve.

Apocalyptica - Hope vol. 2

No comments: