December 23, 2007

Hope

'You can open your eyes now!'
Slowly, at first squinting I try to take in the sight. Glaring sunlight floods my eyes. The wide beach spreading as far as I can see, and the rushing waves of the sea beyond it. The calm hush of the waves is like a whisper opposed to the rush and the racket of people on the hot sand.
'C'mon, drop those, and let's go!'
She tugs on my hand, so I do as she said. I drop my backpack to the ground, and follow her lead as she undresses down to her bathing suit. Getting rid of all the cloth, as fast as I can, trying to keep up with her... Blinded by taking off my t-shirt, for a second I lose sight of her. I search for her silhouette in the crowd... There! There she is, running towards the water! I follow suite, running to catch up to her.
'Come, lazy-bones, come and catch me!' She yells as she splashes the first steps into the water. A few paces behind, I take a deep breath, run past her and dive in, splashing the salty cool water all over her. Coming up for air, I can hear her giggling behind me, and before I turn, she jumps on my back, taking me back down into the water.
'It's been a long time, hasn't it? One year... too long for you to be away from the sea.' I nod silently, and after some pondering reply: 'You know, it's our fifth year here... Summer wouldn't make sense without this.'

No comments: